Friday, 18 April 2014

New flies for 2014

With the season well under way in Ireland my fly tying classes has seen some new designs produced for this season.
Two of the new may fly patterns are the CDC corrib green and the CDC corrib Yellow.
The reason for using the cdc is to create two aspects of the fly.
no 1 is the cdc under the partridge creates an air bubble well know to be produced by the dabbler and no 2 if you cast it out you can use the pattern as a dry for rising trout.
Simple but effective,so we are now working on some other patterns and especially on the bibio.


Thursday, 27 February 2014

More Pseudo flies

Over the winter period the fly tying classes saw my students tying more Irish patterns using the Pseudo hackle.
This revolutionary material has transformed some of the patterns as well as making it easier for new students to produce some great patterns for the rivers and loughs.
While i was at the BFFI i did a few demonstrations using this material and it has caused a lot of interest in it.
Even in the states guys have e mailed me for the recipes of these patterns.
Unfortunately we only managed to fish late September and October to field test the patterns but this year we are already geared up to hit the Loughs to give them a good field test.
Such as the  Pseudo red arse dabbler a fantastic pattern through the season.

Another pattern is one we use on lough Inagh for the sea trout and salmon the pseudo Dunkeld.
and of course the pseudo Teal blue and silver.
Another pattern that Peter O,Reilly reccomends for May on the Loughs is the Pailsey Pupa so we designed one using the pseudo hackle and this should prove very effective.
Such was the interest in the Pseudo hackle i have now stocked this on the web site in various colours.
The next step is to design some wet daddies using this great material, have a go yourself it is so easy to use and creates a great fly.

Friday, 15 November 2013


Now the fly tying season is well in, my classes have been concentrating on a new material.
Pseudo hackle, this material has been used widely for crunchers,Diawl bachs and cormorants.
It was a couple of weeks ago that we decided to tie up a range of Dabbler patterns for next year and some interesting patterns have been emerging.
Field testing of these start this weekend and hopefully will produce good results.
To enhance the pattern we have used florescent dyed bronze mallard and florescent dyed pheasant tail to create a hot spot for the fly.
first is the claret dabbler.
next is the black dabbler
now the gold olive dabbler
there are a multitude of patterns as follows enjoy!!

Monday, 28 October 2013

Lauries cdc suspender buzzer

In the past week our fly tying classes got round to tying up buzzer patterns, so it was decided to tie up a suspender type and here are a few we came up with, needless to say they have been working great on the lakes here in Ireland

Friday, 27 September 2013


A new pattern designed for Lough Inagh is the Inagh blue, based on the teal blue and silver this pattern was modified dabbler style.
First reports on this design is promising with three sea trout and numerous brown trout being taken on it on the loughs and rivers.
The following is the step by step on tying this pattern.

STEP 1 Firstly set up a hook in the vice "Kamasan b170 size 10 and tie in the tail of claret pheasant.

STEP 2 next tie in the rib of silver utc wire.

STEP 3 tie in a bunch of silver glister half way up the hook shank.

STEP 4 now tie in the blue angel hair leaving a 2mm gap at the eye of the hook and wind in the rib with 5 turns and secure.

STEP 5 now get your dubbing brush and velcro all the dubbing so it blends in.

STEP 6 wind in a blue guinea under hackle and brush it backwards.

STEP 7 take a slip of bronze mallard and wind it in so it cloaks the blue guinea.

STEP 8 to finish the fly take around 20mm of bronze mallard slip fold in half , place it on top of the hook and tie it in as the cloaked wing, whip finish and apply 3 coats of no 1 clear varnish

 hey presto another pattern for your fly box.
Lawrence Finney

Tuesday, 24 September 2013


With the drawing to the end of the game fishing season i decided to go to work on the 12mm tungsten bottle tubes for next year.
These tubes are amazing and sink at an incredible rate, field tested last month on the rivers Mourne and Finn resulted in some great fish to the net and of course safely released.
At the moment i have done 6 designs and hope to get a few more done before spring next year.
These are now available on my web site.

                                                        SUNRAY SHADOW TUBE






Thursday, 22 August 2013

the Peachy telephone fly

A pattern i designed this week will be field tested tomorrow on Lough Melvin,The peachy telephone fly is an off shoot of the peachy bumble.
The use of the flourescent peachy angel hair is amazing and used on several patterns has produced some great results,not only for trout and Salmon but last year it was used on grayling bugs and customers around europe contacted me to obtain this material as it worked so well.
well tomorrow will hopefully see good results, so in the meantime it is back to the studio to produce a few more of these flies for the web site and shop,and also finish off the other  patterns.